Sunday, September 23, 2012

Bali (6)

Last night in Bali. After a wonderful day in Ku De Ta, evening in Tanah Lot, we were obviously hoping that we would end off on a good note. Admittedly I was a little skeptical especially since G's fiancee expressed his displeasure at us going out to club in the weekend before 911 and what can one say when the man has spoken? So after we came back from Tanah Lot, the girls were desperate for one last spa and the spa ninny in me cried off at the last minute. So I promised them that if they still wanted to go out after their spa I was a willing party... and we did! Wow....we actually made it to a club in Kuta - again from another recommendation from G's friend, we went to sky garden - 3 levels of dance rooms each with different types of music and many many aussies.
 In all, a really fun night and at least we got to see the sleazy side of Bali - been there, done that, never going to do it again!
 Last photo in front of our villa....
 Photo before we disembarked - super sian face coz I'm tired. Got chastised so we took a proper one below.
 A peak at the memory lane look that L and I created for G :)
So the big question is, would I ever come back? Answer is No. Bali relies alot its history as the perfect tourist gateaway. Perhaps it used to be. However, I am willing to bet that Thailand is a close competitor in awesome beach gateaways. The good news about Bali is that it's so so so developed that I wouldn't worry about anyone going there for the first time - you can definitely get by. But the problem is when it is so developed that everything becomes overpriced and you know that you are always going to be paying top dollar for something which you could easily get back home for similar. Bali seems more inhibited with foreigners than locals these days which is probably why it is so pleasing when you see features of the hinduism faith in the city. From the daily offerings to the local dress, these features are endearing to the modern mind and are memories that I remember more than the modern amenities I visited. Thank you Bali for hosting me but it will be a while before I come back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment