Saturday, August 25, 2012

Weekend post #2

I figured that I should continue the weekend posts in Singapore while I'm still at it. I've decided that I will try to blog about my weekends in Singapore unless of course I'm not in S'pore during said weekend.

I met D for drinks last friday and being fairly amused that despite being a local (or sort of) he had never been to Emerald Hill, I decided to bring him there, or more specifically, No. 5. Most internet research would immediately alert dear reader of the heritage history of Emerald Hill, I will try not to repeat their words.

Emerald Hill is probably the one part of Singapore where we can drink on the roads and possibly outside someone's mainhouse. Three shophouses have been converted into a row of bars each with their own individual character but has been a hit with locals for many years. No.5 was probably one of the first bars that I started to visit regularly in Singapore once I hit the legal drinking age. Most newcomers to Singapore see it now as an expat bar since so many foreigners converge on it during the weekends but I do remember it quite differently.

As a kid, I used to live at clemenceau ave north and before all the back condominiums came up, mom and I would actually walk down to centrepoint (and dear old Robinsons) via emerald hill. It was a good twenty minutes walk and I used to whine about the walk back up the hill, but I remember the houses clearly and the shops around there (eg: the bak kwa stall around the corner has been there for years!)

Back to No.5, it's a very chill out area which plays tunes from the 80s (like clockwork, one can always expect to hear Belinda Carlisle crooning heaven is a place on earth). Their prawn paste chicken wings are legendary as are their 1 for 1 martini offers from 9pm every night. The bonus bit, bowls of peanuts are served to every table and you get to throw the shells on the floor. D had a hell of a time deliberately flinging shells onto the floor.
Emerald Hill has definitely evolved over the years in terms of dynamic and population, but memories remain and lets hope that I never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment