Sunday, August 19, 2012

The weekend

I had a conversation with E recently and shared with her how I had almost given up on blogging about my travels especially since I was not travelling as much as I used to and things were different now that I was working. E surprised me by sharing that she had started keeping a blog of her experiences in Sydney as part of gearing up for their big trip overseas. Her blog is awesome - vibrant and colourful.

Today, on this long weekend in Singapore, I find myself inspired again to blog. To share how I spend my weekends in the country I call home. Perhaps, this is also a timely reminder to myself to not become a nomad!
There is a place in Singapore which I like to visit on the occasional Sunday. It is a cafe called the coffee bean and tea leaf. Heavily franchised - it is not particularly known for the spectacular gourmet coffees that seem to be in the rage nowadays in Singapore - bang on trend Singaporeans searching for the perfect coffee bean, but that is another post for another day.

What I like about this particular cafe is its location. Located in Forum shopping mall, a rather obscure part of Orchard road, the cafe is situation adjacent to the building, facing the main road. On the good sunny days, the outdoor tables are great for people/car watching. I usually walk in before noon, grab one of the lunch sets and armed with my latest novel/journal or sometimes work brief, command a table in the corner where I lose myself for the next three, four hours. Most people go out to be seen, and most cafes expect the customer to order the full menu when they occupy a table for the afternoon - but this place does not and this is what I appreciate about it. So now I've done it, shared my secret reading place in S'pore. I hope that I do not regret this! 

Just to share, this is my current book of the week. It was such a surprising read that I finished it in one afternoon. I felt rather emotional at the end of the book. There is a hint of a happy ending which I totally chose to grab when I closed the book. Makes me want to visit Japan more and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment