Saturday, February 4, 2012

Vietnam: Cu Chi Tunnels

Enroute back to HCM, we stopped by the Cu Chi Tunnels for a tour. It was probably one of the more expensive tourist tickets that I had to pay for: 80,000 dong in total. I guess that's what happens when a particular place becomes very famous. Most tourists to HCM pay a visit to Cu chi tunnels - it's like the obligatory tour visit in Vietnam and I guess it does hold its own in terms of historical uniqueness. The cu chi tunnels are a network of underground tunnels that go as far down as 12m underground and allowed the vietcong to employ their guerilla tactics against the American army very effectively. Underground there was even a kitchen and a hospital. The tunnels were very well disguised above ground and even when the americans found out about them later and tried to smoke the vietcong out, they were unable to since the tunnels were not built in a straight line but winding. Even when the american soldiers tried to go into the tunnels, the tunnels were so small and dark that it was just impossible. 
At one of the entrances to the tunnels. It is so tiny that at one glance I didn't think I would be able to fit and I literally just did! This would be like the body physique test or something. If you can't fit inside you're considered big sized? I think all of us had quite a bit of fun going through the tunnels. It was so tight and dark that at some points I was crawling and starring at Iz's back and not knowing where I was going but just crawling... that's how claustraphobic it can get.
One of the pictures of the Vietnam war I took at the HCM war museum. The Vietnam war was unique in the sense that it was covered extensively by many photojournalists and many of whom died in the course of duty. The photos really helped to show the conditions that the soldiers went through during the war and the range of emotions felt by each and every soldier as they awaited for their commands or even during the course of fighting with the Vietcong. The museum has some of the best photos that I've seen - very raw and filled with emotion. Looking through them made me feel that I was sometimes just standing in front of the soldiers are the picture was taken. I'll admit it now, I was quite overcome with emotion just looking at them.



No comments:

Post a Comment